Category: About SWE-LA
Written by Liz San Miguel
The Society of Women Engineers is a non-profit educational, service organization dedicated to supporting women engineers and encouraging young women to consider an engineering education. Geographic area comprises primarily of the Los Angeles areas South Bay, Downtown, and San Fernando Valley.
The LA Section of the Society of Women Engineers, with over 200 members is one of the largest of the Society’s 70-plus sections.
- Stimulate women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders.
- Expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life.
- Demonstrate the value of diversity.
- Inform young women, their parents, counselors and the public in general of the qualifications and achievements of women engineers open to them.
- Assist women engineers in readying themselves for a return to active work after temporary retirement.
- Serve as a center of information on women in engineering.
- Encourage women engineers to attain high levels of educational and professional achievement.
- Leadership - Provide opportunities for members to develop leadership and management skills to enable them to achieve their maximum potential and further their their ability to attain increasingly important positions of responsibility.
- Education - Provide programs to encourage girls and women to enter engineer and encourage members to attain high levels of achievement in their fields.
- Visibility - Increase visibility of SWE and its programs to members, the technical community and the general public.
- Diversity - Develop programs to encourage and sustain increase participation in the fields of science and engineering reflective of our diverse population.
- Resources - Increase the Society's resources for the purpose of supporting high quality programs and services to meet its goals.